Rehiring Retirees/Affected Annuitants
The "Return to Work" legislation (40 ILCS 5/15-139.5) was enacted in August 2012. Provisions of that Act took effect in August 2013 and imposed financial obligations on universities that employ State Universities Retirement System (SURS) annuitants with earnings more than 40 percent of their highest annual rate of earning prior to retirement.
Definition of an Affected Annuitant: Sec 15-119 of the Illinois Pension Code defines annuitant as "A person receiving a retirement, reversionary, survivors or beneficiary annuity or disability retirement annuity from this System."
See the helpful documents below to aid you in the process of rehiring former retirees/affected annuitants.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Post-Retirement Reemployment Agreements
- Return to Work – 60 day Rule
- Affected Annuitant Fact Sheet
- SURS Covered Employers
- Employment After Retirement Fact Sheet
- Hiring & Employment of SURS Annuitants Policy University Policy 3.1.28
To hire a former retiree/affected annuitant, both of the following documents must be submitted to Human Resources in addition to the regular hiring paperwork for the employment type (AP, CS, Faculty, Faculty Associate).
- Department Form – Request to Hire SURS Annuitant
- Employee Form - SURS Sheet for Other SURS Employment
Please contact a Retirement Counselor or your Employment Consultant if you have questions regarding this process.