Illinois State University is only as good as its people. The recruitment of a new employee is an important decision. We expect each recruitment decision to signal a long term commitment. Administrative Professional positions require several steps to complete the hiring process. The Employment Unit is here to guide you through this process with the goal of hiring the best candidate for the position.
Typically, AP positions are advertised and searched using the recruitment website, which is maintained by Human Resources. There are, however, some exceptions to this recruitment requirement that may be granted on a case-by-case basis. In these situations, a waiver will be required from the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access (OEOA).
The typical Administrative Professional recruitment process at Illinois State University follows these steps:
- Creating or updating the job description
- Search Committee Training (required – via either in person training or independent review)
- Search committees play a critical advisory role in the identification, recruitment, and evaluation of candidates. Committees are formed in accordance with departmental or unit procedures, but all have the common goal of filling open positions with individuals who will advance the University's mission.
- Determination of the members of the search committee should be made early in the recruitment process, ideally at the time the job description is being reviewed.
- Employment Consultants will work with the hiring manager or search committee chair to determine the best method of training for the committee and will provide the training before committee members begin to review applicant materials.
- Presidential Approval for permission to fill the position
- Departments obtain this approval through the Hiring Request form.
- Position and Funding Request for the Budget Office. Please refer to this user guide if you need assistance completing the form.
- Job posting in ISU Jobs
- Employment Consultant will advise and assist with developing and placing advertisements
- Evaluation of applicants by the search committee
- Interviews and reference checks conducted by the search committee
- Search committee report provided to the hiring manager
After interviews have been conducted, notify your Administrative Professional Employment Consultant of the final candidate(s). The Employment Consultant will oversee the following:
- Pre-offer background checks
- Job offer(s)
- Post-Offer Pre-Employment Physicals (if necessary)
- Initiate the onboarding process. This includes:
- Hiring paperwork
- UID creation and ULID activation
- Notifying the applicable IT unit to begin the computer provisioning process
- Registration for New Employee Orientation(s) as appropriate
- Notifying the supervisor of the necessary information (such as ULID) necessary to begin their portion of the onboarding, as well as sending the supervisor as well as sending the Supervisor Onboarding Checklist
Presenting the Written Offer
Once the final candidate has been selected and necessary background checks have been cleared, the hiring department prepares the appropriate offer letter and sends it to the Employment Consultant for approval prior to providing it to the candidate.
Hourly Offer Letters
- Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template
- Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
- Non-Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template
- Non-Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
- Grant Non-Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template
- Grant Non-Continuous Hourly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
Salaried Offer Letters
- Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template
- Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
- Non-Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template
- Non-Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
- Grant Non-Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template
- Grant Non-Continuous Monthly AP offer letter template for internal candidate
AP positions are contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background investigation per University policy.
Criminal Background Investigation Procedure University Policy 3.1.30
External Search Firms
In accordance with 3.4.13 Use of External Search Firms Policy, the hiring department must first contact Human Resources regarding procedures to employ an external search firm to facilitate the recruitment of the President and other highly skilled administrators.