Overtime applies to non-exempt (hourly) employees who perform their job duties beyond their scheduled work day or, depending on the employee, their scheduled work week. Overtime is paid at time-and-a-half of the employee’s base pay.
Overtime is applied when:
- Student employees and hourly Graduate Assistants work more than 40 hours in a week total across all University appointments
- Civil Service Extra Help employees work more than 40 hours in a week
- Non-flex schedule hourly Civil Service and Administrative Professional employees work more than 7.5 hours in a day
- Flex schedule hourly Civil Service and Administrative Professional employees work more than 37.5 hours in a week
Per University Policy 3.6.25 and 3.4.12, employees assigned to work a 40 hour work schedule should substitute 8.0 hours where it reads 7.5 hours and 40 hours where it reads 37.5 hours.
Below is a list of suggestions/best practices to use for the content of employee overtime requests. This list may be adapted as an email template for use by your department, but is not required.
All overtime requests require prior supervisor approval. Requests should include the following:
- Date/time of overtime request
- A description of work being completed during overtime
- Estimated amount of overtime needed
It is recommended that employees working overtime be required to send a follow up email that includes:
- A description of the work that was accomplished
- Confirmation of the actual hours worked